Monday, July 14, 2008

Stonehenge, over the weekend...

Hi all, how was your weekend? good I hope. Ours was amazing...we took a train from Oxford to Salisbury & visited Stonehenge, the lovely town of Salisbury & its lovely Cathedral...which has the tallest spire or tower of any cathedral in all of England, it is the 4th tallest in the world...click here to see photos.
Stonehenge was rather amazing in of itself...the bus we took was the best idea...you know we sold our cars in America before we moved to England & we have not looked back since...Here we have access to an amazing public transportation system...you can take a bus or a train or a combo of the two just about anywhere...Walking that other great & seldom used mode of transportion by me in the past, is also wonderful, just check out the picks, I actually like my photos for once in a long time...
OK back to Stonehenge, I loved it, we are going to go back to see it with a more private group when it is not so busy, I am glad you can not get too close to it, as I could see how the trample of visitors would destroy the site in no time... Then we went back to Salisbury, visited a bead shop that was so so, no artist beads at all...hoping to change that I left my card with the manager...we had the best lunch/dinner at a Donnar Kebab place...don't remember the name, but we will go back...the owner was from Turkey & loved the fact that I had just come back from his home city of Istanbul...there is a saying in our house, if there is a Kebab place anywhere we are, my hubby Martin will find it somehow...he just knows these things...
Then we casually walked over to the Cathedral...oh my gosh, two other times in the past I have been so overwhelmed by site...the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA, that first look over the edge just took my breath away, then the same thing happened in Cappadocia in Turkey....and now the Salisbury Cathedral, we just turned the corner & there it sat...we got dizzy trying to look at the top of the tower...it is just a site you can not describe in photos, one has to stand in front of its might to see what I mean...the thought that 750 years ago man was able to build it, just boggles the mind... Cool note, there was a small replica of the whole place inside while it was being built, it depicted all the areas of the build project, including a large Hot Shop where they made the glass right on site for the windows & such...
Jelveh
Peace

No comments: